Sign in to follow this  
KSI H3KTYK 7

Please help clear clutter in SR Forums

Hello Admins <3

A few of weeks ago I came to Anatomy asking for help with the SR forum section. My request is simple:

My goal is to create a subforum within the SR forum where I can put all the "Squad Meeting Notes" and "Squad Chats" and keep them together in there so we can use the front page of the SR forums content visible to all members. SR has got way too many squads and these pinned chats are overflowing to the second page now making information on tournaments, announcements etc be pushed back.

The Division leaders, KSI QueenPink 7 (Div Lead), KSI Tubes 7(Co-Div), and I (Founder) have agreed to have this done, now I'm just trying to execute the plan. So now I come to you all for help to get this done. 

Thank you all for your time and help with this. 

Respectfully, 

-Selim

image.png.15b733fea813e01da1e2e62a09f1b27f.png

Unpin the topics and they’ll fall in line with the rest of the topics. No need for a separate forum. Or you can start taking the content of old topics and flagging them for removal to the garbage can. Keep what’s important.

Other divisions do it just fine without.... you can too.

2 hours ago, .Koda said:

Unpin the topics and they’ll fall in line with the rest of the topics. No need for a separate forum. Or you can start taking the content of old topics and flagging them for removal to the garbage can. Keep what’s important.

Other divisions do it just fine without.... you can too.

Disagree heavily, if a Division is utilizing their forums efffectively there should be no reason to deny any additional organizational tools. Stuff like this has been requested dozens of times in Divisions that utilize the forums heavily and would do nothing but augment the users experience navigating their div section. We are asked every day to advertise these forums and so for the one area clan ops is granted we should be given the leeway to customize our area as we see fit (within reason of course)

13 minutes ago, KSI Helios 7 said:

Disagree heavily, if a Division is utilizing their forums efffectively there should be no reason to deny any additional organizational tools. Stuff like this has been requested dozens of times in Divisions that utilize the forums heavily and would do nothing but augment the users experience navigating their div section. We are asked every day to advertise these forums and so for the one area clan ops is granted we should be given the leeway to customize our area as we see fit (within reason of course)

Not trying to pick a fight. Trying to understand something. How is it other forums can and have operated in the past with only their single division forum, but the SR division magically can’t do it and needs more “tools” to do the same job others do with less?

HF has the same amount of posts and they’re doing just fine. Larger divisions have been able to do it all just fine in the past.

Justify the exception, and you have a better chance of the request happening...

Tradition shouldn’t be used as a reason to halt positive change. The justification is that it would make the forums (and specifically div sections) easier to navigate and contribute to. A new recruits divisions section is often their first destination when guided to the site by their officers, and so a hot mess as a first impression 1) makes our jobs harder from squad and division level leadership, and 2) gives the impression to the new user that the forums are “massive, cluttered, and confusing” to quote one of my CPLs in RD.

As for why we can’t simply remove/hide discussion, this also hurts activity because it makes the creators of said topics feel censored or targeted. In the case of pinned “informational” topics we obviously use these for informative purposes so it makes no sense to de-emphasize or hide these topics. A sub forum for each squad or a single sub forum for all “informational” topics would make everything easier to manage and organize.

23 minutes ago, KSI Helios 7 said:

Tradition shouldn’t be used as a reason to halt positive change. The justification is that it would make the forums (and specifically div sections) easier to navigate and contribute to. A new recruits divisions section is often their first destination when guided to the site by their officers, and so a hot mess as a first impression 1) makes our jobs harder from squad and division level leadership, and 2) gives the impression to the new user that the forums are “massive, cluttered, and confusing” to quote one of my CPLs in RD.

As for why we can’t simply remove/hide discussion, this also hurts activity because it makes the creators of said topics feel censored or targeted. In the case of pinned “informational” topics we obviously use these for informative purposes so it makes no sense to de-emphasize or hide these topics. A sub forum for each squad or a single sub forum for all “informational” topics would make everything easier to manage and organize.

Sounds to me like you need to teach your mods a better way to organize...

Here’s a way to get around the clutter until the time comes when/if an admin decides to create a forum for you:

1. Remove all unnecessary “outdated” topics and mark them for clean-up. There’s no reason you need posts about events that happened last year still lingering around. Junk em.

2. Unpin & Save the topics that are still important. LINK THEM in a master informational topic that houses all important SR matter. That way you’re not scrolling a mile to get to the first Actual topic of discussion. One “pinned” topic with all the key info, maybe another two or three for important matters that come up as announcements.

Theres ways around it without needing another subforum. Only question is if the mods want to put the work in to clean it up in the first place. That mile long of pinned topics is unnecessary. I’ve always thought that and clearly the members of SR do too.

Disclaimer: Some might think this is because I have a bone to pick with some of SRs leadership... it’s not. My response would have been the same to any of the divisions that posted this (minus the comment about the ton of pinned topics). My beef with the leadership of SR is between them and I... this has nothing to do with that and everything to do with people just simply not doing their job effectively.

2 minutes ago, .Koda said:

Here’s a way to get around the clutter until the time comes when/if an admin decides to create a forum for you:

1. Remove all unnecessary “outdated” topics and mark them for clean-up. There’s no reason you need posts about events that happened last year still lingering around. Junk em.

2. Unpin & Save the topics that are still important. LINK THEM in a master informational topic that houses all important SR matter. That way you’re not scrolling a mile to get to the first Actual topic of discussion. One “pinned” topic with all the key info, maybe another two or three for important matters that come up as announcements.

Theres ways around it without needing another subforum. Only question is if the mods want to put the work in to clean it up in the first place. That mile long of pinned topics is unnecessary. I’ve always thought that and clearly the members of SR do too.

I’m speaking on a more broad level. I’m not even in SR I am adding input as a member and leader of RD. Our area is cleaner, but adding subforums would give it that next level organization. Also I disagree on removing topics. All topics, especially old ones, contribute to the history of our divisions and will one day be looked back on by our successors. 

Just now, KSI Helios 7 said:

I’m speaking on a more broad level. I’m not even in SR I am adding input as a member and leader of RD. Our area is cleaner, but adding subforums would give it that next level organization. Also I disagree on removing topics. All topics, especially old ones, contribute to the history of our divisions and will one day be looked back on by our successors. 

Then we’ll agree to disagree. I cannot force you to share my opinion nor you force me to share yours. But as someone that’s worked to clean up these forums for the past couple years, I’d say there’s a lot more that could be done before another sub forum should be considered. :)

1 hour ago, .Koda said:

Not trying to pick a fight. Trying to understand something. How is it other forums can and have operated in the past with only their single division forum, but the SR division magically can’t do it and needs more “tools” to do the same job others do with less?

HF has the same amount of posts and they’re doing just fine. Larger divisions have been able to do it all just fine in the past.

Justify the exception, and you have a better chance of the request happening...

well i mean maybe being a pessimist makes you less able to see logic.

i think maybe having subforums would be a better edit. it organizes the squads topics into their own area!

16 hours ago, .Koda said:

Disclaimer: Some might think this is because I have a bone to pick with some of SRs leadership... it’s not. My response would have been the same to any of the divisions that posted this (minus the comment about the ton of pinned topics). My beef with the leadership of SR is between them and I... this has nothing to do with that and everything to do with people just simply not doing their job effectively.

Bro I known you for a while and I’m pretty sure you know who I am as well. I am back in SRs leadership as well and I almost feel like you’re directing this to me as well. I’m not even aware of your dealings with SR’s leadership so that should show you how private they keep their stuff with the web ops. 

Your argument  that other division la have done it in the past is invalid because I’ve my self have set them up before before the RD split. 

I am not okay with removing old post because we are about history and where we come from and seeing posts from 2008 that I wrote before makes me feel great about being back for the 3rd time and work my self up the ranks again.

times are different this time and my goal is to promote healthier and more organized activity in our forums. I also have lower members and lower ranking people who still have a tough time navigating our forums. That is not what I want for my members. I want to be able to have all information available at a glance and at a click away. We already have an SR back log set up for us, what’s so impossible to manage for a section as such to be available to keep these threads in on place? If it’s too much work, then we need to make some changes to the Mod/Admin team that can handle it. Mind you we are the biggest division in KSI again, seems to be a  trend every time I join KSI back time after time. 

So I beg you please reconsider. Anatomy was willing to help and present the plan to JT. I know JT I’m not scared to go to him directly he’s a phone call away. But I respect your guys’ time and I want to do this the right way. I not here to measure who’s dong is bigger, just help my Division. Besides everything else in this community seems to have exceptions. 

-Selim

47 minutes ago, KSI H3KTYK 7 said:

So I beg you please reconsider. Anatomy was willing to help and present the plan to JT. I know JT I’m not scared to go to him directly he’s a phone call away. But I respect your guys’ time and I want to do this the right way. I not here to measure who’s dong is bigger, just help my Division. Besides everything else in this community seems to have exceptions. 

-Selim

Just to clear my stance in this...I am neither for nor against this subforums idea. It didnt bother me one way or the other but I can tell you from my experience working with the Mod / Admin Team (obviously more admin than anything) is that this would get turned down in a heart beat. I have made multiple attempts since we first talked H3KTYK to get something done and nothing happens....

Screen_Shot_2017-11-05_at_12.54.49_PM.pn

So I wouldn't hold my breathe on this because I tried and nothing was done about it.

2 hours ago, KSI H3KTYK 7 said:

... If it’s too much work, then we need to make some changes to the Mod/Admin team that can handle it..... I know JT I’m not scared to go to him directly he’s a phone call away....

I actually encourage you to do exactly that.

See, it’s not so much that it’s too much work. It’s just a couple clicks here and there and it’s done. Problem solved....

But the current Admin/Mod team that you so speak of, your beloved JT included, are the ones who don’t want the changes your proposing. Me? I personally could care less. I’d issue forums all day, every day so long as they’re used and they’re not redundant. But I know how JT and Kered operate and I know they’re not going to make a forum just for SR to not do their own proper housekeeping with what they have which is what warranted my original responses.

So please, make the phone call. Make that call and make my day....

3 hours ago, Anatomy <3 said:

Just to clear my stance in this...I am neither for nor against this subforums idea. It didnt bother me one way or the other but I can tell you from my experience working with the Mod / Admin Team (obviously more admin than anything) is that this would get turned down in a heart beat. I have made multiple attempts since we first talked H3KTYK to get something done and nothing happens....

Screen_Shot_2017-11-05_at_12.54.49_PM.pn

So I wouldn't hold my breathe on this because I tried and nothing was done about it.

I know your stance brother and I am extremely thankful for pushing this for me. I know you had a full plate when I approached you about this. This is probably one of the easiest things to take care of. I know you could have done it on the spot if it was up to you. There are proper channels to get things done. 

To be honest, I didn't expect this big of a deal from a request to help improve the forum activity for my division. It's absurd. What's the point of having forums if we can't make a simple request without being bashed. lol Its amusing AF. Glad to see nothing has changed and those willing to help keep dropping. 

I am just simply glad you're still around <3

2 hours ago, .Koda said:

I actually encourage you to do exactly that.

See, it’s not so much that it’s too much work. It’s just a couple clicks here and there and it’s done. Problem solved....

But the current Admin/Mod team that you so speak of, your beloved JT included, are the ones who don’t want the changes your proposing. Me? I personally could care less. I’d issue forums all day, every day so long as they’re used and they’re not redundant. But I know how JT and Kered operate and I know they’re not going to make a forum just for SR to not do their own proper housekeeping with what they have which is what warranted my original responses.

So please, make the phone call. Make that call and make my day....

Again, I want to this the right way. It's a simple request. Its not lack of proper house cleaning. There are simply too many squads in SR. The fact that you're putting a negative spin on thisis just uncalled for. I am not even Section Mod for SR, although Queen asked me in the past to ask the Admins for it. If it gets done, fine, we all win, no problem. If not.. oh well thanks for the help I guess. Again, just looking for better ways to make this a better experience for our members, but f**k them I guess, they don't matter, right? 

1 hour ago, KSI H3KTYK 7 said:

What's the point of having forums if we can't make a simple request without being bashed. lol Its amusing AF. Glad to see nothing has changed and those willing to help keep dropping. 

Let me clarify something. I’m not trying to come across as bashing you. I’m glad you’re trying to help your division by seeing a need and attempting to fill it. That’s not my intention.

The chance your request will be approved and handled are slim to next to none. Why? Because anatomy and I both wanted to clear up division sections as well as the whole forum. It was shot down... the administration doesn’t want more forums. They want less. They don’t want more groups, they want less...

So... with that in mind, I’m trying to provide you with suggestions on how to work around that with what you have now. That’s really the only option you have. That, or leaving it the way it is...

Unfortunately, that’s where we’re at with this because of this. Sorry that being real with you is a negative spin on the matter. I call it as I see it and that’s that...

Huh, whole lot of assumptions and opinions made without one member of the forum staff posting in here. 

I'll make the section when I get off work. You will only be able to view the new subforum after clicking on the SR section. 

Closed.