Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KSI Harris 7

Battle of The Bands: You decide!

Slipknot vs. Korn  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't like either, but prefer KoRn. SlipKnoT is boring (but KoRn isn't much better). I just don't have any respect for bands that aren't original or have any musical finesse.

I also hate it when people do these versus band things. No band can be really better than another. These polls are actually very musically immature. Listen to what you like, but keep fanboys OUT!

slipknot hands down how can u say they are boring corey taylor is the most diverse he can rock hard metal and then sing a song like bother with stone sour and slipknot is original hahahh and for finesse any guy that can sing for multiple bands and get to the top of the chart how much more do u need hahah

slipknot hands down how can u say they are boring corey taylor is the most diverse he can rock hard metal and then sing a song like bother with stone sour and slipknot is original hahahh and for finesse any guy that can sing for multiple bands and get to the top of the chart how much more do u need hahah

How much more could you need? How about good music?

Sorry Korn :( i grew up with more slipknot, although we did write Korn on our burger buns in mustard and ketchup :)

I'm talking about musicality of the band. They are very bland. When I listen to music, I want something that doesn't #1: Sound like Crap. #2: Sounds like it's been recycled and #3: Has members that don't contribute to the overall sound. Nu-Metal is all the same; Garbage. When I listen to Slipknot, I don't get angry because of what they are saying or playing (what metal is SUPPOSED to do), I rather get pissed off at the WASTED TALENT.

KoRn has an extremely original sound and has influenced not only the metal side of music, but most rock in general. Saying that, I don't really like them, but I do respect that they did their own thing. Slipknot, sadly, has just recycled old riffs, played them fast, and added some idiot hitting trash cans.

Another reason why I don't like SlipKnot is the fanbase. Every person I've talked to that likes them is a COMPLETE FANBOY. Tells me every single day that Joey Jordison is the greatest drummer ever, wearing their t-shirts all the time or whatever they can find that their local Hot Topic, and how I should listen to them. Not saying that all fans are fanboys, but a majority of these guys are destroying what music is about. It isn't about worship of musicians. It's about developing a mood, an atmosphere, with musical notes. Not about trying to make crap that people like (MOST MODERN MUSIC [Pop-Punk movement in general])

I actually have to agree with verm.

First off the VS bands thing is a little unfair. All this is asking is "compare the number of fans in KSI for each band" that does not show a better band. I could say who's better Liquid Tension Experiment or Hannah Montana. I guarantee you that Hannah Montana would win. Why? Not because she can play better then LTE, cause I assure you she can't, but because there are more fans.

Second, who's to judge who's better? Fans are horribly bias and the people that really play an instrument well enough to tell who is better don't really like to judge bands vs each other.

Fan numbers are skewed unfairly based on what the radios generally play. So to say on band is better usually means the record contract has more money then the other, or they are older. Not really who has more talent. If radios just played talent, why do you hear so many pop stations? I've yet to hear a Steve Vai song on the radio, and I don't think anyone can argue against me saying he's a very skilled guitarist.

ok i have to disagree when u say they take old riffs and korn original give me a break he has a cracky voice and sound like crap and for meeting fan boys no doubt there goin to be them and i dnt think slipknot is the best ever i grew up on the classic and i knw all the top bands but they are diverse yea some songs might sound the same but wat rock band doesnt play similar music its just like rap same generality n beats just a diffrent person saying diffrent things corey taylor live sounds exactly how he does in the studio and if u werent so judgmental and actually listen to the words of his songs u would understand how genious he is i mean give me a break he re did the song wicked game and was astonishing everything he touches is hot and if u dnt believe me look at records sales it would show you cause thats what really matters not some ksi guys opinion u knw i just disagree with ur whole sounds the same and he is noth killing rock many people hear slipknot and recognize a great band im a man of music and i listen to all kinda rap rock metal death metal r&b have been musically inclined since the age of seven listening with my dad to ac dc megadeath metallica i even heard oasis and pink floyd black sabbath to modern i knw talent when i see it that band is good love em hate em there at the top u cant argue with numbers and corey taylor as the lead singer is just great that guy has multiple bands that he plays for and every track rocks and as for the whole joey being the best drummer thats false he is talented no doubt but there are many in the list for best drummer motley crews drummer the who drummer travis barker i mean d list goes on. so my answer will b slipknot always hate it or love it

How much more could you need? How about good music?

and like i said look at sales buddy he plays good music lol mayb not for your taste but as a majority sorry you lose

Artists that have songs that don't sound the same every time:

Frank Zappa

Between the Buried and Me

After the Burial

Dream Theater

Porcupine Tree

Liquid Tension Experiment

Squarepusher (Electronica)

The Roots (Rap)

Blackfield

Minus the Bear

The Decemberists

Radiohead

God Is An Astronaut

Explosions In the Sky

Godspeed You Black Emperor!

Herbie Hancock

Miles Davis

And all that is off the top of my head. Writing diverse music isn't hard if you KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. The main reason I hate Slipknot is the fact that they have succumb to the industry to make "hits". They are no longer doing ANYTHING for the genre to advance it. They are just playing what has already been heard. That is immature musicianship. Good for them that they are making money. But shame on them for not moving music forward.

And I also don't like KoRn. BUT, their songs differ from track to track, so I can respect them. They haven't replicated what has already been done.

Corey Taylor may be a good singer. But his lyrics are very unemotional. Basically, it's him wearing a mask and yelling obsenities in Slipknot. I get no emotions from uncreative lyrics. The great lyricists of our time: Steven Wilson, Jake Snider, Joey Eppard, Cedric Bixler, Mos Def, and Black Thought. They turn music into what it NEEDS to be: art.

Read these lyrics from Slipknot's Duality.

I push my fingers into my eyes...

It's the only thing that slowly stops the ache...

But it's made of all the things I have to take...

Jesus, it never ends, it works it's way inside...

If the pain goes on...

Aaaaaaaah!

I have screamed until my veins collapsed

I've waited as my time's elapsed

Now, All I do is live with so much fate

I've wished for this, I've *****ed at that

I've left behind this little fact:

You cannot kill what you did not create

I've gotta say what I've gotta say

And then I swear I'll go away

But I can't promise you'll enjoy the noise

I guess I'll save the best for last

My future seems like one big past

You're left with me 'cause you left me no choice

I push my fingers into my eyes

It's the only thing that slowly stops the ache

If the pain goes on,

I'm not gonna make it!

Put me back together

Or separate the skin from bone

Leave me all the Pieces, then you can leave me

alone

Tell me the reality is better than the dream

But I found out the hard way,

Nothing is what it seems!

But it's made of all the things I have to take

Jesus, it never ends, it works it's way inside

If the pain goes on,

I'm not gonna make it!

All I've got...all I've got is insane...

All I've got...all I've got is insane!

But it's made of all the things I have to take

Jesus, it never ends, it works it's way inside

If the pain goes on,

I'm not gonna make it!

Now, read these lyrics from Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet

Sunlight coming through the haze

No gaps in the blind

To let it inside

The bed is unmade

Some music still plays

TV, yeah it's always on

The flicker of the screen

A movie actress screams

I'm basking in the s*** flowing out of it

I'm stoned in the mall again

Terminally bored

Shuffling round the stores

And shoplifting is getting so last year's thing

X-box is a god to me

A finger on the switch

My mother is a b****

My father gave up ever trying to talk to me

Don't try engaging me

The vaguest of shrugs

The prescription drugs

You'll never find

A person inside

My face is mogadon

Curiosity

Has given up on me

I'm tuning out desires

The pills are on the rise

How can I be sure I'm here?

The pills that I've been taking confuse me

I need to know that someone sees that

There's nothing left I simply am not here

I'm through with ****ography

The acting is lame

The action is tame

Explicitly dull

arousal annulled

Your mouth should be boarded up

Talking all day

With nothing to say

Your shallow proclamations

All misinformation

My friend says he wants to die

He's in a band

They sound like Pearl Jam

The clothes are all black

The music is crap

In school I don't concentrate

And sex is kinda fun

But just another one

Of all the empty ways

Of using up a day

How can I be sure I'm here?

The pills that I've been taking confuse me

I need to know that someone sees that

There's nothing left I simply am not here

Bipolar disorder

Can't deal with the boredom

You don't try to be liked

You don't mind

You feel no sun

You steal a gun

To kill time

You're somewhere, you're nowhere

You don't care

You catch the breeze

You still the leaves

So now where?

Metaphors, mixed rhyme scheme...that is what should be going on. So many interpretations! Versus the one-faced lyrics. That is what I mean. Make music art. Not a cultural event.

ok u put one song from slipknot and duality is a great song put if u would actually read all the lyrics on slipknot songs u would see the diversity and as for moving music foward thats what they are doin they were one of the first 8 people bands now more people add more band members i just think u dnt have an open mind so u wont let different ideas in i have listend to all kinds of music and all kinds of bands im not goin to say slipknot is the best in the world but they are deff. better than korn and as for korn not sounding the same u should actually listen to there songs alot of them have the same pattern and he sings every song the same xcept for kiss the new one most of korn sounds the same sorry

Ever heard of Secret Chiefs 3? 9 members (not that that matters; sometimes less is more). The reason they are changing the industry: they are fusing Middle-Eastern music with surf rock and electronic music. This has NEVER been done before. We have all heard the nu-metal bands of today. We get it.

Why do they have to wear matching uniform jumpsuits and homemade masks? Because they want to grab the attention of the audience with the way they look. That is the same as many poppy pop artists are doing today: staying with fashion trends to make them more noticeable to the public. Now, why would a band need to dress up? It doesn't help their music sound better (that's for sure). I am including bands like KISS and Gorgoroth among countless others within that group, not just Slipknot...

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they are trying to push music forward. My problem is that they don't SOUND like they are, and they don't LOOK like they are. I heard a sneak peek of their new CD All Hope Is Gone. Sounds like everything else they've written. On the other hand, bands like Porcupine Tree (used to be straight psychedelic rock. Now, has super metal edge due to work with Opeth), The Mars Volta, and Frank Zappa have shown DRAMATIC evolution, while Slipknot has seemed to stick to one thing. Why not try an acoustic album?

And when I say diversity, I am not talking about vocals. There is only so much you can do to change the vox (unless you are talking about melodies/rhythmic tendencies). I was more referring to songwriting. Their songs are very one sided. No evolution. No differences between the verse and bridge. Just very primal.

Genres I LISTEN to (not just have listened to):

Metal (Progressive, Death, Tech, Heavy, some melodic), Jazz (slow to fast bop), Hip-Hop (Rap...not too much) Blues, Fusion, Indie Rock, 90's Alternative, Indian Raga, Punk, Electronica (not really trance as much), Space Rock, and some Hardcore.

Trust me. I listen to MUSIC. That is my goal as a musician; to listen to all genres. I understand each genre has something else to portray. I question Slipknot's ability due to the fact of poor song structure, non-evolving sound, and appealing to public eye through things that aren't related to music.

You disagree. And that's why we argue. You made me listen to Slipknot again. But, I still fail to see any morphing between a decade and a half.

I love you Nova! Now, I have to listen to these guys!

Edit: Oh, never mind...it's Cartel. I've already heard these guys...:(

haha i understand your point but i just have listen to alot of slipknot and not all the lyrics are the same he is diverse or else they wouldnt sell records and yea dressing diff. doesnt help u sell records but your music does and slipknot is one of the highest selling bands and kisss is an all time classic ur goin to have an opinion and im goin to have mind so it really dnt matter if we argue till we get carpol tunnel and not all bands like doin an acoustic maybe thats the choice of slipknot but i knw corey taylor can do both *vermillion pt 2 and alot of stonesour songs are slower paced where u can fully understand his lyrics so im just goin to go ahead and stop cuz no matter what we both have our opinion and nothing is goin to change that lol but i still have to go wit slipknot over korn cuz i cant stand korn's scratchy voice it hurts my ears

I have one question, though...Why does a band need to dress up? The only reason is to get public attention. Music has nothing to do with what they wear. The reason is to catch attention of the audience with the way they look rather than with their music. I think that is extremely stupid, seeing as you should only listen to a band if they sound good, which apparently, you like them. Not trying to convert you, just giving my opinion.

I have to compliment you guys on this discussion... one of the few that doesn't end with people screaming how each person is stupid and should shut up and go die or something. Congrats, I like reading both of these sides.

idk man its just the way they roll i guess u knw they do it to be diff. i guess from most band i mean i really dnt think they enjoy it and most of true fans of any band goes by the way the music is played u knw not the way they look take a glance at the 80"s when every one had bushy long hair u knw some people might not like the way those bands dressed but they couldnt deny the great music i mean look at aerosmith what was with his headband u knw but they still putt out good music and the reason i like slipknot is not the way they dress is cuz i sat down and actually listened to all their songs and learned them and the words and stuff he talks are not just trash like some people say but he does take time to make sense and then i followed corey taylor as an artist to other bands like mentioned before stone sour and seen him take a new approach with through the glass silly world bother and the remake of wicked games and saw another side of him thats why i give him and slipknot respect i c ur point tho some songs they sing are like others u hear but then again thats all bands in any genre u knw all playing music the way they learned it and every band in an aspect is moving music foward cuz there would never b new bands if they didnt have something to influence them u knw every genre is getting new talent and rock is changing all the time from the 70 80 90 to current date and it will change in the future whatever is goin on in the world influences bands to sing about it but as for the dressing up idk what the reason is but i do have to give them props for goin out there and performing n mask n jumpsuits cuz u knw its hotter than satans balls hahahah i even heard lue brutus saying that when he went to watch them they were getting so hot that they would actually throw up and keep on playing james even threw up wit his mask on and just lifted then chin of the mask to let it out and continue playing why for their dedication to the fans and the love of playing what they love to play AND GLASS THANKS AND I RESPECT VERM. FOR NOT SLANDERING ME AND CALLING ME AND IDIOT FOR MY OPINION JUST LIKE IM NOT CALLIN HIM FOR HIS THIS IS THE WAY DICUSSIONS SHOULD GO THERE IS NO REASON TO BE IMMATURE AND CUSS AT EACH OTHER OVER AN ARGUEMENT HAHAHHA

Do me one favor...PLEASE use Grammar! I can barely read your posts.

And about 80's bands. They all sounded the same. Because metal was the most popular back then. Thank god that ended.