Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KSI S4DISTIC 7

Guitar Guru

Welcome to my new series of postings! I am KSI Sadistic 7 formerly known as KSI Guit4r H3ro 7! These topics and threads will be avaible to the many musicians out there who have may questions on the guitar! These could run from how to play to maintenance tips! Twice a week I will be providing new topics and threads on various lessons. This particular thread is for questions on the guitar and I will do my best to provide answers.

Look forward to your work... finally someone new for everyone to go to about guitar stuff... everyone used to come to me about it lol

Awards

I got something.

My mother used to play guitar (acoustic, I believe), and my best friend plays acoustic, electric, bass, etc.

Just wondering where/what you would advise starting with, and how to go abouts initially "picking it up"; I'm interested in learning and I kinda need something to take some of the stress off. :P

Awards

Look forward to your work... finally someone new for everyone to go to about guitar stuff... everyone used to come to me about it lol

Oh please, you weren't the only go-to-guy. :rolleyes:

I will also be looking forward to what you have to bring. You might wanna check a thread in the Music section for other guitar players, if you're interested in knowing about that.

-=}N{=-

Sumi, you should start with an acoustic guitar as they are very easy to pick-up and increase your dexterity :D

10 Years also helps :P

Make sure it's the most difficult accoustic guitar you can find, so difficult that it makes you quit, but you won't, because when you master that guitar, an electric guitar, or classical accoustic guitar, will be way easier to play. If you try to learn on an easy guitar, you won't learn anything in the time you need.

-=}N{=-

Uhh... well, my mother got her first guitar when she was like 14 (she's 50 now), and has kept it in pristine condition ever since... I just found it in our office closet (in a case), and figured out how to tune it properly.

This'll be fun. :P

Awards

How come I can't play the Free Bird 'solo'?

I've been playing for about 4 months, I should have this down by now.

Guitar: Les Paul Custom (Alpine White/Gold)

You may have the sounds of the notes memorized in your head when you listen to the song, but it doesn't constitute knowing finger rhythm and scale patterns. Knowing what scales they use is important. That way, it's easy to just copy the notes you hear to arpegios and and alternations easily in your finger rhythm.

-=}N{=-

best tip to getting good at guitar

steps-

1- borrow 10k from a mob

2- buy a REALLY expensive guitar, no matter what kind, as long as its freakishly expensive

3- every time that you play that guitar you will be cherishing the time you have left with all your fingers and therefore practice your butt off

4- get good enough to play for a big band, and pay the mob back, so they don't break you

:D tada, your esteban

I got something.

My mother used to play guitar (acoustic, I believe), and my best friend plays acoustic, electric, bass, etc.

Just wondering where/what you would advise starting with, and how to go abouts initially "picking it up"; I'm interested in learning and I kinda need something to take some of the stress off. :P

Thats a very good question. I would start with a good old fashioned acoustic for a variety of reasons. One would be the simplicity! An acoustic can be taken anywhere you go and doesnt need any high tech cables, amps or even electricity! Another practical reason is that after you have learned to play on an acoustic, you'll find that switching to an electric alot easier. This is because the action (how far the strings are from the neck of the guitar) are usually higher and the neck is generally wider than that of the electric counterparts. This forces you to push down harder on the strings than on an electric which will greatly strengthening your fingers.

Also until you know for certain that you are going to enjoy( which you should as it is a great stress reliever and lots of fun) I would purchse an less expensive guitar. It may not get as great a sound as the more expensive ones but its great to practice with until you know you'll stick with it. Or If you just want to play electric and kick off the rock n' roll mayhem, most guitar companies and stores sell "ready to go" packages which contain everything you need to rock on right away!

I hope this has helped you in some way and remeber that the guitar, along with any other instrument, takes time and patience! The more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it!

How come I can't play the Free Bird 'solo'?

I've been playing for about 4 months, I should have this down by now.

Guitar: Les Paul Custom (Alpine White/Gold)

assign., When I first started playing the guitar I was exactly the same way. I was listening to a hot guitarist by the name of Yngwie Malmsteen at the time and sought out to learn one of his songs. So I aquired a tab of the song "Far from the Sun". I memorized the notes and proceeded to practice the song. I hit a roadblock almost instantly. Even though I knew what to play, I couldnt play the song, at least not at the tempo that Yngwie plays it! There is a reason why every guitarists from Eric Clapton to Stevie Ray Vaughn To Zakk Wylde have played for years and years before mastering the instrument. Its called 'muscle memory'. Try this experiment, touch you nose. Touch your knees. No-brainers right? How does your hand and fingers and arm know how to move access these parts of the body without seeing them and instantaneously? Thats right, muscle memory. Your brain has a programmed image of your body so that you can perform these tasks effortlessly. But learning the guitar requires adding new information to that image. Now the trick is to teach your fingers to move and react to a foreign object. The only way to get your fingers moving right to remeber the motions required to play the note or lick or chord is tokepp playing them over and over again untill the brain and muscles remeber the motions so that becomes natural. What it comes down to I guess in the simplest of terms, is play the solo, song, and scales as slow as you can untill you can play it and then gradually pick up the pace. Perfect practice makes perfect. Slow it down until you can play it and then speed it up. AND NEVER EVER EVER GIVE UP!! Or I will track you down! i HOPE THIS HAS HELPED YOU A BIT IN UNDERSTANDING WHY YOU MAY NOT YET BE ABLE TO PLAY THAT SOLO YET BUT ALSO INSPIRE YOU TO KEEP PRACTICING UNTIL YOU CAN!. kEEP ME INFORMED OF YOUR PROGRESS!

Okay okay... I'll give you guys a few tips that are very important to playing guitar. First, play it slow before you can play it fast. If you can't play it slow, you'll never be able to play it fast. So if you play it slow first and make sure you get each note perfect or as close to perfect as you can get it, then start increasing the speed till you are at the speed you want to be at.

Second, repetition repetition repetition. Repetition till your fingers bleed. You have to play the same things over and over again till you get them. No matter who you are... you have to practice it before it sounds good and you get it perfect.

Third, be your own guitar player. Yeah you can look up to Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads, Yngie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Kirk Hammet or whoever your guitar hero's are, but you need to be your own guitar player. If you are a copy of them then you've accomplished nothing on your own right. So write your own material as much as you practice others. Otherwise you'll end up playing in a cover band if your serious about guitar.

Fourth, if you are playing at loud volumes, wear ear protection. Don't argue, just do it. You can buy ear protection at any local music store and even hardware stores. I suggest ear filters because you can hear better using filters than using ear plugs. This is the most important piece of advice you'll get from me. Protect your ears, because without them, music doesn't exist.

Awards

Okay okay... I'll give you guys a few tips that are very important to playing guitar. First, play it slow before you can play it fast. If you can't play it slow, you'll never be able to play it fast. So if you play it slow first and make sure you get each note perfect or as close to perfect as you can get it, then start increasing the speed till you are at the speed you want to be at.

Second, repetition repetition repetition. Repetition till your fingers bleed. You have to play the same things over and over again till you get them. No matter who you are... you have to practice it before it sounds good and you get it perfect.

Third, be your own guitar player. Yeah you can look up to Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads, Yngie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Kirk Hammet or whoever your guitar hero's are, but you need to be your own guitar player. If you are a copy of them then you've accomplished nothing on your own right. So write your own material as much as you practice others. Otherwise you'll end up playing in a cover band if your serious about guitar.

Fourth, if you are playing at loud volumes, wear ear protection. Don't argue, just do it. You can buy ear protection at any local music store and even hardware stores. I suggest ear filters because you can hear better using filters than using ear plugs. This is the most important piece of advice you'll get from me. Protect your ears, because without them, music doesn't exist.

well put! I always wear protection because when you play a show, its deafening! Although it could be argued whether you need ears for music. Look at mozart, he was deaf but could write music using the vibrations it created lol. I mean i know enough theory to be able to write music without physically hearing it, but thats from years of abusing my fingers on the fretboard lol. Your my new friend Spider, You know your ****. lol. You know KSI BLK DRGN 7? I was his roommate and good friend of his. This is KSI Guit4r H3ro7 or KSI BAtousai 7. lol

Somebody needs to study his classical musicians. It was Beethoven lol, not Mozart, who was deaf but used vibrations from a board that he put under his chin so he could feel his music. I don't know much theory, I have my keys from A to G, Major and minor all written down for reference, and I'm already half deaf, and I know that shows are deafening... I probably go to too many.

Awards

Somebody needs to study his classical musicians. It was Beethoven lol, not Mozart, who was deaf but used vibrations from a board that he put under his chin so he could feel his music. I don't know much theory, I have my keys from A to G, Major and minor all written down for reference, and I'm already half deaf, and I know that shows are deafening... I probably go to too many.

damn it your right! LOL I did screw up it was beethoven. My bad. I knew that I just don't always think clearly or type clearly for that matter.

damn it your right! LOL I did screw up it was beethoven. My bad. I knew that I just don't always think clearly or type clearly for that matter.

Yeah I go to at least two or three shows a month, despite the ones I actually play at lol.