Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KSI F0RG0TT3N 7

STAY FAR AWAY FROM SATELLITE INTERNET!

Arrgh So I had reasons I need to move out of my former home which had awful slow DSL which is far better then Hughes Net Satellite Internet by a miles! Also I live in the middle of the country in Southern Texas so Hughes net is the only thing we can get. So first of all Satellite internet uses something called "fair access policy" (which they should call it Money Making Policy) Which allows you only 10 darn Gigs a month for 60 Bucks a month so everyone gets fair use during peek hours. this is bull when we can do the exact same thing with satellite on our TVs Unlimited.. Gaming on Satellite internet is not happening even though they say that they have a gaming package because your seriously only get 1Mb of upload and of up too 800 Ping. Then if you go over your limit they have the nerve to slow your internet down to unusable speeds. Then if there is a single cloud in the sky your internet is completely down? I can understand Heavy Rain, or a Thunderstorm , or Snow and Sleet on the dish but downcast weather too? also Understand I can probably use over 10GB in a day and they seriously want to charge me $60 dollars a damn month? They should re name the company Hughes Thieves. DO YOURSELF'S A FAVOR DO NOT GET SATELLITE INTERNET! Save yourself's the pain.

Yeah it's pretty bad. I had Hughes Net when I was living in Florida and they did the same thing to me. Had no Xbox Live for 6 months.

Yeah the connections with satellite aren't up to par with modern needs and they've always had limited usage for plans. It's very easy to run up overage charges with those companies. Simply streaming videos and playing a few games for a few hours will put your bandwidth usage over the top insanely fast. As much as I despise TWC as a company, they're the only suitable option for me. ATT is the scammiest company I've ever dealt with and everything else is either super slow DSL or satellite.

Awards

Yeah the connections with satellite aren't up to par with modern needs and they've always had limited usage for plans. It's very easy to run up overage charges with those companies. Simply streaming videos and playing a few games for a few hours will put your bandwidth usage over the top insanely fast. As much as I despise TWC as a company, they're the only suitable option for me. ATT is the scammiest company I've ever dealt with and everything else is either super slow DSL or satellite.

Really? I had AT&T U verse when I lived in the Houston Area and it was super fast internet though I will agree the service was absolute trash. Here is the thing I have a neighbor that is No less then 300 feet away from me and can get U verse and I can't? What is up with that?

Ditto. I hate TWC, especially their customer service, but I can't deny they have good packages for internet. It's really the only viable option for gaming in Hawaii.

Ditto. I hate TWC, especially their customer service, but I can't deny they have good packages for internet. It's really the only viable option for gaming in Hawaii.

Do you have data limits? I also saw you can get 300Mb service for under $100 that is actually not bad. Sadly We have TWC in my town just on the north side I live on the south side which is too far to get service.

Be thankful you don't have comcast, except for the satellite internet of course. While comcast is the fastest internet option around my area(Memphis, TN)...They have truly earned title of one the worst companies in the US. I live in the south, which is one of their trial areas for data caps.. I get 80 down and 15 up with an allowance of 300 gigs a month for bandwidth, which I obviously go over almost every month because I don't live alone, have multiple computers, phones, and gaming devices.

I had a very bad experience with AT&T when I came home for the summer of my freshmen and sophomore year. I was paying 50 bucks a month for 3 down, one of their best packages, lol....But come to find out, the specific zip code I live in, didn't actually get that speed and maxed at like 1 down. Luckily the tech they sent out was a really nice guy and let me know, so I could get refunded. Comcast techs on the other hand are for lack of better word, terrible! Or I should say the ones they send out on the first couple of visits are not very knowledgeable and they try to charge you for every visit. Since only the level 3 and above techs seem to know what they are doing, you have to ask for them or they will keep sending out not so good techs and trying to charge you.

I looked into getting satellite net awhile back as alternate to at&t but read many forum post about the high latency making gaming a nightmare. I hope you can find another option soon, or convince your local politicians to put forth some type of municipal internet plan.

Random but not so random thought, i think municipal internet plans are the future and key to knocking down some of these isp monopolies like comcast and TWC, or atleast they will force them to have competitive prices.