New Blue

Old Folks Attention!

I'm seeing a lot of confusion from some of you older members about the current state of KSI.

We have moved 99% of the operations to discord strictly. That is why you see a shockingly low amount of activity on the forums. If you're interested at all in making a return, hit me up on Discord at KSI New Blue#5555 , i'll have a chat with my leaders about you coming back! Anyways, have a blessed Sunday.

Awards

To speak on behalf of all the "old folk", representation and visibility is what was lost with the move from the forums to discord. KSI is a staple in the history of gaming community history, not just KSI history. We date back to the earliest of communities and many knew of KSI during the H2, H3 era of gaming. Love or hate KSI, if you played H2 / H3 you at least had some views on KSI. There is a vast history that can be documented about the community and by now locking all that away from public eye shows to people not in the community / not on Discord that the community is dying off. All good things come to and end and even coming from a Hall of Fame member who loves / loved KSI, KSI is nothing like it was when I joined nor is it like what it was before I joined in the "golden age" -- and to be honest I don't think it ever will again. Online forums pages all across the internet are dying off as instant messaging apps like Discord are killing off the need for forums. Skype and Kik back in my day were doing the same but there was a balance still. We still had Kik chats for our officers but they wanted to be more active on the forums as that is where the "fun" was. Kik / Skype messaging was seen as the important information / meetings. Discord has surpassed both of those apps for it's connivence (and rightfully so). As you guys pull away from the forums more and more the amount of visibility goes away because you keep your Discord hidden. Look at communities in recent years that have taken off and are doing much much better, such as XGN, SmG, XS ... they are working both and are juggernauts on Discord, forums and XBL. That is just my take, not that it really matters, but yeah :p 

Ana out 

• Like 1

@Anatomy <3 I think another golden age would be possible if great leaders like you stepped back in to make it what it was. It's true that discord has practically killed forum pages but that shouldn't stop us from moving forward. There are discord servers that have 2 or even 3 "general" chats because of the amount of activity. We can do that to KSI if we push towards the future instead of looking back and constantly reminiscing. That's my take. 

Blue out 

Awards

lol ... mocking the phrasing of my message is not really appreciate but ok ....

The idea of "old skool" v "modern day" has been an issue that lingered over any leader who didn't join up during the H2 era of KSI. It is about innovation and how to overcome and deal with people like me who will tell you things aren't the same as they were. Do some digging about KSI and you will find though what I mean ... 

KSI Events - 2005 ... https://forums.ksiglobal.com/gallery/category/3-ksi-events/?page=3

Now do we need more of SE7EN 7 standing with an Xbox 360 giveaway package in a hotel room to be a great community again? The answer is no. But look at the brotherhood among all of the members there who may have never met in person before that but were having the times of their lives because it meant something. I didn't join KSI until 2011, that era was long gone, so that memory of what we had was always there. Read from the leaders who define modern day KSI ... 

"Kered: You've been the leader and the owner of the forums since their conception. Which means you've seen many different eras and leadership on here. In your opinion, what was the Golden Age of the KSI forums and what made it such?

JT (R00t Da3m0n): I can’t really declare any time a Golden Age. I think the needs of the community have fluctuated over time and we have continued to change. To answer your question though, I think the Halo 2 days were probably the most active days we had."

Koda: "KSI has changed drastically over the years. When I joined KSI originally, it had a back-end infrastructure to support it. We utilized the forums for off-the-xbox chatting and discussion, and we utilized in-game clan battle features. The organization that was on Halo 2 was key. The support of clan battles within Halo 2, and the competitiveness between clans was really what allowed KSI to grow to the massive numbers it had. In-Game support allowed squads & divisions to be clearly defined across the game. Microsoft didn't jump on the "clan" feature, and ultimately, it was a letdown to communities like us, H20, PMS, MoB, XGN, XGC and the like. We were forced to adapt with Friends of Friends lists and other "outside the box" features. But that's just the technical side of it. Even more of a change is the behavioral side of the clan operations. Previously, the community ran with a sense of "respect" and "honor". Our members were proud to be a part of the community, and proud to be involved in something larger than themselves. They enjoyed going out every evening and bringing new people into their world, Their corner of the gaming globe. We respected those above us, we respected our peers, and we respected those below us. But where I look now, some of that sense of respect has been lost.

We had people posting topics all over the site about being an old skool member v new skool ... 

"After The loss of the uniforms of Halo 2, Ksi took a plunge into darkness for the most. We no longer had that Wow factor before the match and the loss of people on our teams left gaps that were rapidly becoming bigger. We lost many great leaders that became bored with the fact that KSI was becoming a drama pit with so many changes that no one could/wanted to keep up anymore. Divisions were abandoned, members left behind and no one was stepping up save the few that really clung to the old school way.. eventually things settled to where they are now.. A fraction of what we once were. Memories of greatness.."

....and that was 2013, still a number of years from today but yet it still was looking towards the past. During my active time in KSI I had some of the most memorable gaming experiences I think I ever had, because of the fact that I was in KSI. We were trying to innovate on the idea of people's pride. 

"As we all know, of the major things KSI stresses is the importance of a family type atmosphere in our community. Well I have come to an idea to help stress this point even more. This is going to take effort from every Division in order to work. We all know how effective game nights are to build chemistry within squads and divisions. Well let's take it up a notch. Once a day, every week, multiple members from MULTIPLE divisions will get together and just game. Doesn't matter what the game is, just as long as it's a multi player game and every can enjoy. This will not only give members a chance to game, a major purpose of KSI, but it will also break the tradition that you can only game with groups of members in your division. This will give members a chance to meet other people that they may not have had the chance to meet yet. This is all about making lasting friendships throughout KSI, and building a foundation of unity that we can build off of for future generations of KSI members. This will take everyone's help, hope you enjoy."

We worked in the early part of my time in KSI to revive that pride and make something that everyone can enjoy and feel a part of. They could be of any generation, be of whatever rank, because at the end of the day we were priding ourselves of being a part of a community with such a vast history. Read some of the responses from these members, not just the important leaders / retired leaders. Read the real members posts...

So what does that all mean at the end of the day... get what you want out of KSI. You do not need the old leaders to come back to take back the reigns because that is how this all repeats itself over and over and over again. I will say as someone looking outside, in, that where is that brotherhood from the Halo 2 era? What makes people stay? Join? Retain membership? Why care? Like I said all great things come to an end and I believe that to the fullest but that doesnt mean things can be changed to help delay that process. Get what you want out of the community and do the things you want. One day everyone can look back on their time active here and laugh at all the silly times and mistakes and joy they had. 

• Like 1

I would like to hear @KSI Viktory 7 take on this but yes, we don't need assistance from old leaders, but you and the other retired folks are proud of what they achieved back in the day. for that reason alone is why I suggest returning to see the progress at least. At the end of the day, its our turn to make it great.

Awards

KSI will never be as it was in the h2 days. Competing against MoB, XGC , and many other knock offs started by people that left KSI. Whats the biggest division you guys have currently?

Halo 2 brought a different aspect to the table, the game was redefining the direction Xbox Live was going in. We made KSI work around it... things have changed through out the decades(that made me feel old) with communication tools.. we constantly adapted with them. 

The thing about the golden days is you're still in them now.....  just with different prospective on what actual success is. As we used to say the next private could be the next CEO, that still applies now to whoever joined KSI yesterday. Whether it's a division leader, SGT, CEO, whatever.. YOU GUYS are the ones who impact/set the expectations as to what the next generation of members will consider to be the golden days of KSI. B) - As the oldies that you guys still seeing kickin around now will lecture different standards to what they considered successful based on what generation they came up under.. 

All that matters is ya'll never stop moving forward with trying to be beyond what you achieved yesterday.. so we can never stop having excuses for why we can't develop a better tomorrow. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can echo Game's sentiment. I am considered in the middle of what is considered old school and new gen. I have had the pleasure of being a part of/running active departments on web as well building multiple divisions on the clan side. KSI is a different animal in regards to the correlation between web and clan. Messaging apps did diminish the activity of forum users to an extent, it all depends on how the forums were utilized by the squads/divisions. In some cases Discord even started to overshadow some of the Xbox operations. Which was a tad counterproductive. 

Game's sentiment of the Golden Age being conditional is correct, the expectations I may have faced building in clan ops and participating in web are likely vastly different than yours. As Antonius said, he was in an era where his division was 1500 members. I built in an era were 600-700 was the norm for ideal splits. So each era's version of success is different.

I do feel the forums and web is still vital for join apps and member reconciliations in KSI's case. Web recruitment is one of XS's strongest elements currently over the past year. In KSI's case...this is the most familiar way to touch base for previous members. 

• Like 1

thanks for the input @Cali 7

we are in a forward trajectory right now but we are far from those giant numbers. our web teams are doing very well btw.

Awards

On 11/18/2019 at 9:12 PM, Game 7 said:

Halo 2 brought a different aspect to the table, the game was redefining the direction Xbox Live was going in. We made KSI work around it... things have changed through out the decades(that made me feel old) with communication tools.. we constantly adapted with them. 

The thing about the golden days is you're still in them now.....  just with different prospective on what actual success is. As we used to say the next private could be the next CEO, that still applies now to whoever joined KSI yesterday. Whether it's a division leader, SGT, CEO, whatever.. YOU GUYS are the ones who impact/set the expectations as to what the next generation of members will consider to be the golden days of KSI. B) - As the oldies that you guys still seeing kickin around now will lecture different standards to what they considered successful based on what generation they came up under.. 

All that matters is ya'll never stop moving forward with trying to be beyond what you achieved yesterday.. so we can never stop having excuses for why we can't develop a better tomorrow. 

Wow ? if you considered yourself “old” I must be ancient by now lol oh my lord, but for real time does fly and it’s the newer members that we old folks rely on to be our future...keep it real and your chin up and when you see the obstacle don’t you worry...you got this!!! Keep moving forward one step at a time! ✌?? Much love always!! ♥️?♥️

On 11/18/2019 at 6:30 PM, New Blue said:

I would like to hear @KSI Viktory 7 take on this but yes, we don't need assistance from old leaders, but you and the other retired folks are proud of what they achieved back in the day. for that reason alone is why I suggest returning to see the progress at least. At the end of the day, its our turn to make it great.

I don't believe you really need "my" answer outside of what you've already gotten from former leaders, and well respected ones at that. I might be of an Older Generation of member to start with, but the majority of my leadership and track record has come from the current KSI era. I've had the chance to learn from a variety of leaders, and have seen the community evolve and change over the years. Both here and in .org. The one I can say with certainty is that the community has changed to fit the member base as best it can. For better or for worse, the mentality of the average member is more laid back, and the pursuit of leadership is less than it was. 

There is absolutely pride for the past iterations, and what was accomplished here. None of that will ever be discounted, however that time is long past. For any that wish to come back and try again that door is always open. It's not a matter of necessity but instead one where we'll try to do things a lot differently and make a larger change to the culture that is this Community and where we want to go with it.

• Thanks 1