(0 reviews)

Sword Art Online Review (Spoilers)

Sword Art Online Review

By: Frostiie

Writer

***BEWARE SPOILERS***

Sword Art Online (SAO) takes place in the year 2022, where the gaming industry moved from games (s) using monitors, keyboards, mice, headsets, etc to a neural interface allowing for absolute virtual reality games. Like other  VR games, SAO interfaces directly with the human brain using a virtual reality helmet called the Nerve Gear. The Nerve Gear supplants the five human senses so the user sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch is what the game stimulates for the player. This allows a player to become their character and experience the game just like they experience their real lives outside the game. However, users have no connection to the outside world once logged into the game, other than what the game allows based upon its programming.

The Event's of SAO started officially on November 6, 2022, when 10,000 players log into the online virtual reality game and start exploring the online virtual world. After several hours, many player's discover the logout command is not available to them in the menu system. Players then discover this fact, the owner and creator of SAO (Kayaba Akihiko) announces he is hijacking the game for his own desire. He wants to live in a world like SAO with true life and death struggles; therefore no one will be able to logout until someone reaches and clears the 100th floor. Additionally, if a character dies in the game the connected player will also die in real life. Since Kayaba Akihiko is the developer of Virtual Gear, he designed and inserted a kill switch into the helmets that will microwave a player's brain in the real world. The kill switch activates when the player dies in the game or if someone in the real world attempts to remove or disconnect the helmet.

Halfway through the anime series, the action leaves the world of SAO and enters the real world, except for 300 players which for some reason do not wake up. Kirito discovers what happened to the 300 players, which includes his in-game wife (Asuna), and begins devising a plan to rescue them and bring them to the real world. The last half of the series follows Kirito and others on this adventure and answers the question, will Kirito and Asuna marry in the real world.

This anime is personally one of my favourites and I give it a whole 6 cookies out of 7. There was great character development as well as a great story. One thing I did hate was the fact the 2nd season was placed in a shooting game which did not make sense to me since the anime's name is Sword Art Online. Overall it was fun to watch and I encourage you to give it a try and while you're at it let me know what you think about it in the comments below.

• Like 1

Report Article

User Feedback

There are no reviews to display.

• Current Donation Goals